Halloween doesn’t have to be scary! Make these adorable no-bake chocolate covered Oreo spiders for your next Halloween party or dessert table. They’re so simple to make and taste delicious. They also make a great Halloween activity for kids.
You can either use melted white chocolate or candy melts, depending on the flavour you’d like (or what you have to hand). If you use white chocolate and want the spider webs to be paler, just add some Colour Mill food colouring (or similar). White candy melts are already white, which helps, and usually have a vanilla flavour which works well with the chocolately yumminess of the Oreos. The spiders are simply Maltesers and chocolate, always delicious!
Here’s the recipe for these easy chocolate covered Oreo spiders!
Chocolate Covered Oreo Spiders
- 2 Small Microwave Safe Bowl
- 6 Oreo Cookies
- 340 grams White candy melts
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 12 Candy eyes
- 12 Maltesers
- 30 grams milk chocolate
- I like to work in sections and melt more candy as I need it. Melt some of the chocolate in the microwave by microwaving in 30 second increments, stirring in between each session. Remove bowl from microwave just before fully melted. Stir until smooth. Alternatively, if you don't have a microwave, melt your candy melts or chocolate in a bowl over a pan of hot water. Make sure the bowl with the chocolate in doesn't touch the hot water and make sure the heat isn't too high or the chocolate will seize.
- Drop about 30 grams of candy melt or chocolate into the bottom of the mould. Place an Oreo in the centre of the holes and press down slightly. Don’t press too far that you’ll see it when you take them out of the containers!
- Spread more chocolate or candy melts on top. You can just cover the cookie to use less candy melt and make more candies, or you can fill it to the top of the container so that they are all consistently sized.
- Set aside for the candy melts or white chocolate to fully set – this should take about an hour. Once the candy melts/white chocolate is set, you can remove the Oreos from the mould.
- Melt about 60 grams of candy melts/white chocolate as you did before, and add about 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil to thin it down a bit.
- Place the melted chocolate/candy melts in a piping bag and cut a small hole at the tip. Drizzle the icing circles on the top of the candy, and then overlap some on the sides.
- While the chocolate is still melted, place the Maltesers on top and allow the chocolate to firm up.
- Melt the milk chocolate and add vegetable oil as needed, and transfer to a piping bag with a small hole cut into the tip. Pipe 4 spider legs on each side, and fill in the gap between the milk balls with chocolate.
- Add two dots of milk chocolate on the front of the spider’s face and add the candy eyes. You may need to hold them for a few seconds to make sure they don’t slide down. There you go! Easy to make chocolate covered Oreo spiders!
I used a mould for this recipe to make sure the chocolate covered Oreos came out nice and uniform, but if you don’t have one don’t worry. You can just dip the Oreos into the chocolate or candy melts, and then place onto some greaseproof paper to set before adding your spider web and spiders.
If you don’t have any Maltesers, you could make these spiders from sugarpaste and stick them on to the chocolate covered Oreos. Simply roll small amounts of sugarpaste into balls then add the legs and eyes!
Are Oreos Vegan?
The Oreo cookies themselves don’t have any animal derived ingredients however the Oreo website states “Oreo have milk as a cross-contact and therefore they are not suitable for vegans”.
More Easy Recipes with Oreos
You might also like to try some other easy recipes with Oreos:
Chocolate Covered Oreo Mummies